When babies can sit they are learning constantly from objects around them that they can see, touch, hear and smell. A treasure basket is an amazing way of encouraging the exploring of different objects and using these senses.
The basket is a very important part of the play too as children like to empty and fill with the objects. You can use a box or container it doesn't have to be a basket. You can even decorate the basket to make it more appealing and grab babies attention! Treasure baskets are great for developing a child's attention and concentration, refining motor skills and coordination and making simple choices and developing own preferences.
There are so many different objects you can include in the basket, try offering contrasting and textured items such as wooden spoons, feathers, scarves, shakers, brushes and ribbons. The list is endless! Just remember to supervise your baby or child and never leave them alone with the treasure baskets.
What else can you put in a treasure basket?
- Natural objects such as fir cones, pebbles, leaves, shells, corks, conkers, natural sponge
- Wooden objects such as spoons, curtain rings, nail brush, paint brush, cotton reels, rolling pin
- Metal objects such as chains, spoons, keys, whisks
- Textured objects such as ribbons, different materials such as velvet or leather, rubber and silicon items
- Paper or cardboard objects such as egg boxes, cardboard tubes
You can also make different themed baskets like a Christmas one, a shiny one or even just using wood in one.
There really are no rules apart from the supervision. Also just choose items that can't be swallowed so nothing too small etc.
The aim of a treasure basket is for children and babies to explore the contents on their own with no guidance. Adults should be attentive but be prepared to step back and only intervene to maintain social contact and ensure safety. Some babies need to maintain eye contact with someone familiar when exploring and learning so stay close by to keep their security and aid their learning whilst playing.